Cesar Jung-Harada (FR-JP, 1983) Designer. Director of MakerBay, Scoutbots, and Senior Lecturer in Design and Architecture at the University of Hong Kong. TED Senior Fellow, former Researcher & Project Leader at MIT, Ars Electronica Golden Nica Award winner. He holds a Master in Design Interactions from the Royal College of Art and sailed around the world in 2013-2014.
Cesar is currently working on:
- The University of Hong Kong, Department of Architecture, Senior Lecturer. #Design #Architecture #Cultural Entrepreneurship
- The Swire Institute of Marine Science, Researcher, #Ocean #Innovation
- Scoutbots LTD, Startup CEO. #Ocean #Robotics #Open Science #Open Hardware
- MakerBay Group, Director of Innovation Spaces Network. #Impact Innovation #STEAM #Education #Makerspace #FabLab #SDGs
- Hamad Bin Khalifa University, Trustee of the Board
- TED Senior Fellow, Unreasonable Fellow, Opportunity, Ocean Exchange Fellow, Ocean Research Alliance HK member, member of the Hong Kong Design Association.
Cesar frequently works as a
- Public Speaker: I keynote conferences, major corporate events, and work as a mentor, judge, and panelist. I have experienced as MC, facilitator, moderator, speaker trainer, visual recorder. Cesar has delivered over 25 TED and TEDx talks on 5 continents
- Researcher, particularly for innovative ocean technologies. I have worked in disaster areas on land, air, sea and underwater with frontline communities in many countries.
- Artist, Designer, Filmmaker participating to shows, exhibiting in museums, galeries, performing. I have extensive experience designing FabLab/makerspace/coworking community space and industrial facilities.
- Teacher, Facilitator, Mentor from early childhood to University level, usually about Citizen Science, Design, Impact Innovation.
S bio (63 words)
Cesar Jung-Harada is a French-Japanese inventor, environmentalist, entrepreneur, and educator. He is the Director of MakerBay, Scoutbots, and Senior Lecturer in Design and Architecture at the University of Hong Kong. Cesar is a TED Senior Fellow, former Researcher and Project Leader at MIT. He holds a MA in Design Interactions from the Royal College of Arts, and sailed around the world in 2013-2014.
M Bio (94 words)
Cesar Jung-Harada ("he", 1983) is a French-Japanese inventor, environmentalist, entrepreneur and educator living in Hong Kong. Cesar is interested in ocean exploration and conservation technology, citizen science, design, art, inclusive education, social entrepreneurship. Cesar is the Director of MakerBay, Scoutbots, and Senior Lecturer in Design and Architecture at the University of Hong Kong. Cesar is multiple times TED speaker and TED Senior Fellow, used to work at MIT as Researcher and Project Leader. He holds a Masters in Design Interactions from the Royal College of Arts (UK), and sailed around the world in 2013-2014.
XL Bio (360 words)
Cesar Jung-Harada is a French-Japanese inventor, environmentalist, entrepreneur and educator living in Hong Kong.
- Director of MakerBay Limited and Founder MakerBay Foundation, Hong Kong MakerSpace for Social & Environmental Impact.
- Director of Scoutbots, Inventor of Protei – a revolutionary shape-shifting sailing robot and several other ocean technologies.
- Teaching as Senior Lecturer at the University of Hong KongBachelor of Arts & Science Design+, and Architecture Masters.
- Trustee of the Board of Hamad Bin Khalifa University of Doha, Qatar
- Cesar often works as a professional speaker, panelist, educator, mentor, judge, designer, R&D.
Cesar's TED Talk "How I Teach Kids to Love Science" has been viewed more than 1.8 million times and translated into over 36 languages. Cesar used to teach Masters of “Design and Environment” at Goldsmiths University and "Cultural Entrepreneurship" at Hong Kong University. Cesar is a graduate from the Royal College of Arts London, Design Interactions Department, and worked at MIT (USA) as Project Leader and Researcher. Cesar was the construction manager of the *iHub_ in Nairobi (Kenya). Cesar led the Open-Sailing group to win the ARS Electronica Golden Nica [NEXT IDEA] (Austria) and the VIDA awards Fundacion Telefonica (Spain), Ocean Exchange Explorer. Cesar is a TED Senior Fellow and speaker. Autodesk Pier9 Designer in Residence (USA). Artist in Residence at V2_ (Netherlands). Cesar sailed around the world while being and Unreasonable at Sea Entrepreneur. He was trained in Design Thinking by Stanford d School George Kembel, Rapid prototyping by Tom Chi (former Google x). Nominated Figure of progress by GOOD and IBM, COP21 opening speaker about ocean technologies (speaking before Ban Ki-moon, President Hollande, Jack Ma, and more). His company Scoutbots was nominated StartmeUp HK Grand Award winner and listed as China 10th most innovative company by FastCo (2015). Cesar's design and engineering works are part of the V&A (Victoria and Albert Museum, London) and CNAM (Musée des Arts et Metiers, Paris) collections.
Cesar has lectured/taught/mentored in many Universities including MIT, Carnegie Mellon University (USA), Royal College of Arts, Central Saint Martins, Goldsmiths University (UK), Ecole Nationale Supérieure d'Architecture de Versailles, Ecole Spéciale d'Architecture (France), Tokyo University (Japan), KAIST (South Korea), CCCB (Spain), CICESE (Mexico), Strathmore University (Kenya), Oslo School of Architecture and Design (Norway), HKU, PolyU, HKBU, HKUST, CityU (Hong Kong). Cesar is a Trustee of the Board of HBKU (Qatar).
XXL bio (698 words)
Cesar Jung-Harada ("he", 1983) is a French-Japanese inventor, environmentalist, entrepreneur and educator living in Hong Kong. Cesar is interested in ocean exploration and conservation technology, citizen science, design, art, inclusive education, social entrepreneurship. Cesar is the Director of MakerBay LTD and Founder of MakerBay Foundation in Hong Kong, Scoutbots LTD / Protei inc the ocean innovation company, and teaches Design and Architecture at the University of Hong Kong. Cesar is also a Trustee of the Board of the Hamad Bin Khalifa University in Doha and often works as a professional speaker, panelist, educator, mentor, judge, designer, and artist around the world.
As a Speaker Cesar was the opening speaker at the UN Climate Conference COP21 Ocean Day before the French President Hollande, the UN Secretary Ban Ki-moon, and Jack Ma for many heads of state. Cesar has 2 TED talks on the main stage, totaling over 2 million views and translated into over 35 languages. Cesar has given TEDx Talks in over 10 countries.
As an Educator Cesar is currently a Senior Lecturer at the University of Hong Kong, teaching Masters of Architecture and Bachelors of Arts and Science "Design+", as well as "Cultural Entrepreneurship" Masters, and "Sustainable Leadership". Cesar taught "Design Thinking" for Hong Kong Baptist University, Master of "Design and Environment" at Goldsmiths University, "Architecture Summer Course" for the London Architecture Association, Graphic Design at School of Architecture of Versailles, France. Cesar lectured in Harvard, MIT, Carnegie Mellon, KAIST, Hongik in Korea, Tokyo University, HKUST, City University, PolyU, CUHK, Design Insititute in Hong Kong, the Royal College of Art, Central Saint Martins, The Barbican Centre in London, CCC, Escuela Massana in Barcelona, CICESE in Mexico, Strathmore University in Kenya, Faith College in the Philippines, Bergen University, The Oslo School of Architecture and Design in Norway, ENSCI, Universite de Bretagne Occidentale in France.
As a Researcher, student and explorer Cesar is a lifelong learner. Cesar worked at MIT as Researcher and Project Leader on oil spill remediation technologies. Cesar worked as a lab assistant in ocean wave energy at Southampton University, UK. Cesar holds 2 Master's degrees, one in Design Interactions from the Royal College of Art in London, another master's in Animation Film from the Ecole Nationale Superieure des Arts Decoratifs of Paris. Cesar was trained in Design Thinking by George Kembel, Co-Founder of Stanford d School, trained in Rapid prototyping by Tom Chi (co-founder of Google x, the R&D arm of Google). Cesar sailed around the world in 2013-2014, departing from San Diego, across the Pacific Ocean, the Indian Ocean, up the South and North Atlantic to Barcelona. Cesar worked in hostile environments such as the Bayou during the BP Oil Spill, in the contaminated area during the Fukushima Nuclear Accident and is trained for deep-sea survival.
As an Innovator Cesar is TED Senior Fellow, Autodesk Pier9 Impact Designer in Residence (USA), Unreasonable at Sea Fellow, Opportunity Collaboration Fellow, i2i Fellow, won the VIDA awards Fundacion Telefonica (Spain), Ocean Exchange Explorer (USA), Artist in Residence at V2_ (Netherlands). Nominated Figure of progress by GOOD and IBM, and he was on the cover of Tatler magazine 40th anniversary print as one of "Top 50 Hong Kong Innovator". His company Scoutbots was nominated StartmeUp HK Grand Award Winner (best tech startup in Hong Kong in 2014) and listed as China 10th most innovative company by FastCompany in 2015. Cesar's students won the Jane Goodall "Roots and Shoots award" for a plastic sensing Robot built at the Harbour School in Hong Kong.
As a Designer and Artist Cesar led the Open_Sailing team to win the Ars Electronica Golden Nica, the highest award in Art & Science. Cesar's work has been exhibited at the V&A (Victoria and Albert Museum, London) and CNAM (Musée des Arts et Metiers, Paris) and is part of the permanent collections of the CNAP (Centre National des Arts Plastiques, France). He performed at the Reina Sofia Museum in Madrid, Haus der Kulturen der Welt in Berlin, at the Science Gallery in Dublin. His design work was featured on National Television on BBC Horizon (UK), Thalassa (France), and featured on the New York Times, WIRED, Fast Company, CNN, Al Jazeera, South China Morning Post, El Pais, and many more.
As an entrepreneur Cesar has started and operated businesses in France, UK, The Netherlands, USA, Hong Kong, and Singapore in the high technology and cultural sector. Cesar has selected, taught, employed and managed several hundred students and professionals in 4 continents.
Large galery: https://www.flickr.com/gp/worldworldworld/M067t7
Links & Social Media
- Personal: https://cesarjungharada.com/
- MakerBay: http://makerbay.net/
- Scoutbots: https://www.scoutbots.com/
- Academic Page HKU: https://www.arch.hku.hk/staff/arch/harada-cesar/?dept=arch
- Linkedin: https://www.linkedin.com/in/cesarharada/
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/cesarharada?lang=en
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/cesar.harada/
- MakerBay: email@example.com
- HKU: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Personal: email@example.com
- Phone & Whatsapp: +852 9610 7593 (Hong Kong Time GMT+8)